Table for two tonight? This super-flavorful and simple white chicken chili recipe makes just enough for two hungry eaters!
Do you cook for a big family? Or maybe just for one or two?
When I got married, it was a huge transition for me, going from a big, hungry family of nine, to just cooking for Nate and me! And, for the past almost 6 years, I’ve been cooking just for 2, which I’ve learned, definitely has its challenges! The majority of recipes out there are designed to feed a family, but at least for us, who rarely eat leftovers, those several-serving dinner recipes just don’t really work well.
You should see my recipe box at home! It’s stuffed full of handwritten 3×5 cards and scraps of paper, with our favorite recipes from bloggers and cookbooks, that have been scaled down to yield just two servings.
Sometimes, larger recipes are easy to mentally scale down to yield just 2 servings, and it’s no biggie. But other times, you’re hungry, tired, in a hurry, and you don’t really feel like doing the math to figure out what a third-cup of sauce divided by 6 is…right? Yikes.
So this recipe goes out specifically to you!
This super-flavorful White Chicken Chili for Two is made, start-to-finish, in 30 minutes, with really, very little hands-on time! It’s one of Nate’s and my very favorite fall and winter dishes, because it’s so fast, easy, healthy, naturally gluten free, and so so yummy!
Perfectly portioned to feed two hungry eaters; add some garlic bread or dinner rolls, and you’re all set for a cozy and delicious homemade dinner!
Ps—If you do want to make this chili for a bigger crowd, just double the ingredients for a family of four, or triple for a table for 6! All the cooking instructions remain the same.
- ½ cup Diced Onion
- 5-6 ounces cooked and shredded Chicken
- 1 (15-ounce) can Cannellini Beans (or Navy Beans), undrained
- 1 cup Chicken Broth
- 1 (4-ounce) can Green Chiles, drained
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Salt
- ¾ teaspoon Oregano
- ½ teaspoon Cumin
- ¼ teaspoon Chili Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Red Pepper
- Optional toppings: sour cream, shredded cheese, chopped tomatoes, diced avocado
- Heat a large pot, sprayed well with nonstick cooking spray, to medium-high heat; add onions and cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Remove pot from heat, but keep the burner hot.
- Add chicken, beans (with liquid), broth, chiles, garlic salt, cumin, oregano, chili powder, and ground red pepper; mix well. Return to the burner.
- Heat to a boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot with optional toppings.
- Makes 2 servings.
Next, try these yummy dishes: