My all-time favorite cookies: Super soft, melt-in-your-mouth, chocolate chip cookies with giant dark chocolate chips…the Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe!!
First of all, I want to shout out a huge congratulations to all the runners who ran in the rain yesterday in the Boston Marathon!! You guys are amazing, and even though I’m far from it now, I hope someday to be right where you are, running those streets!
Secondly, I’m so sorry for missing my usual Friday post last week! I was sick, and just didn’t have the energy/stomach to do much food blogging. I promise, now that I’m 100% back to my regular hungry self, I’ll have some extra-fabulous recipes to share with you this week!! Starting with these:
Y’all, these are the official Chocolate Chip Cookies of Sunny Side Ups. The ultimate thick, soft-baked Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe for your recipe box! I have so many favorite cookies here on Sunny Side Ups, but these have got to have the first place spot! These are the kind of cookies that make people ask, “What is IN these??” after sinking their teeth into the first bite! To which you can just smile and say back: “sorry-it’s a secret recipe; I can’t give away such confidential information.” It’s ok to do that sometimes.
I love that whenever I make a batch of these at home, Nate will come into the kitchen and say, “Holy cow-it smells like Paradise Bakery in here!” Because it seriously does! And the even better part, you can make these gluten free! I’ve made them both with regular all-purpose flour, and with Better Batter Gluten Free Flour (You won’t find it in stores; you can purchase it here on Better Batter Gluten-Free Flour, 5 Pound or Vitacost), and the cookies literally turn out exactly the same either way. Better Batter is the only flour I’ve ever tried (and I’ve tried A LOT!), that I’ve found this to be true, for every cookie recipe I’ve ever made with it. Nate says that he literally could not taste a difference between the traditional-flour cookie and the gluten free cookie, because they turned out identical. Which is 100% my goal in baking, always! When I had to give up Paradise Bakery cookies a few years ago, after I found out wheat and gluten had become enemies of my insides, tears were shed. Honestly. But now, since developing this recipe, I will never have to be sad again, because these Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookies taste, to me, like how I remember Paradise Bakery’s cookies tasting like! Yay yay yay!!!
A few ingredients contribute some subtle differences in these cookies, but they’ll pack a lot of punch flavor-wise at the end!
First of all, all dark brown sugar. Dark brown sugar has a higher molasses content in it than light brown sugar does, giving it a slightly richer flavor. Plus, using all brown sugar (no white sugar at all!) will keep the cookies soft and moist for days!
Secondly, using cornstarch will pump up the thickness of the cookies, keeping them really soft at the same time.
Next, cinnamon. You won’t see cinnamon in most chocolate chip cookie recipes, but just a quarter-teaspoon of the yummy spice will add the loveliest flavor to each soft-baked bite.
Lastly, I use dark chocolate chips instead of any other variety, because I love the extra depth of flavor that it provides! Plus, the dark chocolate chips are quite a bit bigger in size than any other chocolate chips for some reason, which means more chocolate in every bite!! Which, really, is the most important thing!!
You’ll also need to refrigerate the dough before you bake (at least 4 hours), so be sure and plan ahead! It’ll be so hard to wait, and that cookie dough will call out and tempt you from the fridge, but stay strong and resist!! It’s SO worth the wait, promise!!!
These cookies disappear so fast, you’ll never know what happened! You might even want to whip up an extra batch to hide from your family, so you can be sure to have some all for yourself! 😉 Enjoy!
- 1 ½ cups + 2 Tablespoons All-Purpose Flour OR Better Batter Gluten Free Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon Cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ¼ teaspoon Cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ½ cup Butter, softened to room temperature
- ¾ cup Dark Brown Sugar, packed
- 1 Large Egg
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Dark Chocolate Chips (plus more for topping, if desired)
- In a large mixing bowl whisk to combine Flour, Baking Powder, Cornstarch, Baking Soda, Cinnamon, and Salt. Set aside.
- In another large mixing bowl, using an electric hand mixer, cream together room temperature Butter and Dark Brown Sugar until very creamy, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber scraper as needed.
- Add Egg and Vanilla, and continue to beat for another 1-2 minutes, until very fluffy.
- Add dry ingredients to the bowl of wet ingredients. Using a large spoon or rubber spatula, slowly stir until everything is just combined. Do not overmix. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or up to 3 days.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Remove dough from refrigerator.
- Working quickly so as to keep the dough as cold as possible, roll dough (or use a cookie scoop to scoop dough) into golfball-sized balls (about 2-3 Tablespoons) and evenly space on baking sheets.
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes, until puffy and golden brown. The cookies will look slightly underbaked, and this is what you want!
- Allow cookies to cool on the baking sheet for another 10-12 minutes, before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days. Cookies freeze well in a ziplock freezer bag for up to 3 months.
- Makes 14-18 cookies (Depending on size)
Some more of my other favorite cookie recipes:
*This post may contain affiliate links
*I link my posts to These Link Parties