Get your cookie fix in just minutes with these super-soft, melt-in-your-mouth brown sugar cookies, studded with M&M’s!
Hi! I hope you’re having a fabulous week so far!
Do you have certain months of the year that just seem to have waaaayy more stuff packed into them?? This June is 100% one of those months for me, and I feel like every day is just a mad sprint, trying to fit everything I need to, into each day: extra trainings for classes I’m teaching at the gym, all the home prepwork & paperwork & grant apps & reading & emotional strains & meetings going on with our adoption, extra baking work assignments, family stuff, and just trying to make sure we’ve got things like dinner and clean socks and toothpaste. Everything at the house is breaking. I keep straining my same right calf muscle over and over again.
And honestly, it’s super hard to mentally focus on really anything besides: 1.) Wondering how my babies are doing & feeling & eating & growing & being taken care of, and 2.) Getting them out of the African orphanage and home with mom and dad, where they belong.
I’m turning into a crazy lady. I’m pretty sure of it.
Soooo, I just gotta tell y’all: I’m super into make-it-fast kinda recipes on Sunny Side Ups right now. Like this and these. And I can bet that a lot of you out there have crazy busy lives too, and want those fast-to-make recipes right along with me! Right?
These M&M’s Brown Sugar Cookies are exactly that. Fast. Simple. And they are so, so yummy-soft, melt-in-your-mouth, good (You can thank the brown sugar in this recipe for all that softness!)! Plus, colorful from all the M&Ms! You can use any type of M&M’s here, but with the 4th of July coming up, I had all these patriotic M&M’s in the pantry that were just begging to be tossed into the sugar cookie dough! Yup-my ingredients speak to me. Told ya I was going crazy.
Also, you choose whether to use all-purpose flour or Better Batter Gluten-Free Flour…I haven’t tried this recipe with any other flours besides those two, so proceed with caution if using any other gluten free flour blend!
Here’s how I cut down on the prep time for making these: First, I used shortening instead of butter (because then you don’t have to think an hour ahead about taking that butter stick out of the fridge). I used Spectrum Organic Vegetable Shortening, because it seems like a fabulous, better-for-you-than-Crisco, option that I can easily find at Target or Walmart. Then, I made these so they did not need any dough chilling! You can just whip up the dough, use a cookie scoop to quickly get the mounds of dough onto the cookie sheet, and bake! And then, the best part: stuff the warm cookies into your mouth!!
Ps—these super soft M&M’s brown sugar cookies are the perfect way to end a crazy busy day!! Enjoy, friends!
- 1 cup + 1 Tablespoon All-Purpose Flour OR Better Batter Gluten Free Flour
- ½ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ½ cup Shortening
- ¾ cup Light Brown Sugar
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ¾ cup M&M’s (Optional: a handful more to top off the cookies with!)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare 2 large baking sheets by lining with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk to combine Flour, Baking Soda, Cornstarch, and Salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, using an electric handheld mixer, beat shortening until soft and fluffy, about 1 minute. Add Brown Sugar, and beat for 3-4 minutes, until soft and fluffy. Add Egg and Vanilla and beat until very creamy, about 1 minute more.
- Pour dry ingredients into the bowl of wet ingredients, and stir with a large spoon or rubber spatula until just combined. Do not overmix. Fold in M&M’s.
- Using a cookie scoop, evenly space mounds of dough onto the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes. When done baking, cookies may look slightly underbaked, and this is ok! Allow cookies to cool on the baking sheet for about 8-10 minutes more before removing to a wire rack to cook completely. If desired, top cookies with a few additional M&M’s just after removing from the oven, for looks.
- Store cookies in a tightly sealed container at room temperature for up to 1 week. Cookies freeze well in a ziplock freezer bag for up to 4 months.
- Makes 14-16 cookies.
Check out these other extra-yummy cookie recipes:
*This post contains affiliate links
* I link my posts to these Link Parties