I’m seasonally challenged. I bake Peppermint Mocha Brownies in August, crave pumpkin bread in March, and love to grill in December…thankfully we live in Phoenix, so it’s no problemo to cook in the backyard in December! But really, flavors should have no limits…I say, if you’re craving it, why wait? So here, at the end of August, are the most deliciously rich and fudgy Peppermint Mocha Brownies. I go weak at the knees when I eat these…mmmmmhmmm :). Definitely not waiting until Christmas to whip up a batch of these beauties…and guess what? They’ve got a secret ingredient inside that infuses the freshest, most cleansing minty taste all throughout every single bite…Peppermint Essential Oil. My fantastic sister Arianna was here a couple days ago talking about the incredible health benefits of Essential Oils, and I’m collaborating with her today to bring you the most amazing brownie recipe featuring one of the most versatile and beneficial Essential Oils out there.
I could rave about it myself, but I’ll let the expert, Arianna, explain why Peppermint Essential Oil is so beneficial for a healthy body:
For centuries, peppermint has been used to soothe digestive difficulties, freshen breath and relieve colic, gas, headaches, heartburn, and indigestion. Peppermint EO is extracted and steam distilled from the leaves, stems, and flower buds of the plant.
My favorite way to use peppermint in this stage of my life is relieving my headaches. I rub it on my neck, upper back and temples, and then inhale the smell from my hands to help alleviate the pain. It works! I can apply it as necessary, and then add other oils if the pain continues. If my headaches turn into migraines, I do, however, choose different oils to help alleviate that kind of pain. I do not dilute this for myself, as it does not bother my skin. Please dilute it first on your skin on a small area to see how you can handle it. Peppermint is one of those oils that is strong, so people either love it, or strongly dislike it.
Here are some other tips on how to use YL peppermint EO:
• Add a drop to herbal tea to help aid normal digestion.
• Massage on the abdomen, place a drop on wrists, or inhale to soothe the minor stomach discomfort associated with travel.
• Rub one drop on the temples, forehead, over the sinuses (careful to avoid contact with your eyes), and on the back of the neck to relieve head pressure.
• Place 2 drops on the tongue and rub another drop of oil under the nose to help improve concentration and alertness.
• Apply drops to the back of the neck and shoulders throughout the day to keep energy up.
• Inhale peppermint essential oil, apply topically to your temples or neck, or put a drop on your tongue or in water to jump-start your morning routine.
• Diffuse or inhale peppermint essential oil mid-morning to curb the desire to snack.
• Inhale peppermint essential oil or rub a drop on to your abdomen to soothe minor stomach discomfort.
• Dilute 1 drop oil in 1 tsp honey or in a 4oz beverage.
If you missed the post on how to jump in and get started using Essential Oils, check out the Introduction to Essential Oils feature to learn more!
In addition to the massive health boost that’s infused into these Peppermint Mocha Brownies from the Peppermint Essential Oils, these fudge-like brownies can be made either with traditional wheat-based All-Purpose flour, or made gluten free, using Better Batter Gluten Free All Purpose Flour! In this post, I explained the benefits of using Better Batter Flour, and I highly recommend using this type again today! If you are desperate, like I was, to find a gluten-free flour that would make baked goods taste like the traditionally-baked, wheat-containing ones, look no further!! After trying brand after brand of GF flour blends, and tasting how dense, dry, and just plain weird they made my baked goods taste, I finally stumbled across Better Batter, and I am so thankful I did! As far as I know, you can only buy this type of flour online (or, if you’re lucky, at Home Goods or TJ Maxx), but it’s worth it! Whether you choose to make your brownies with all-purpose flour, or with Better Batter, you’ll be left with the same fudgy, richly decadent Peppermint Mocha Brownies! Brownies are absolutely my favoritest favorite food, and my greatest weakness! These brownies with all their extra flavor infusions take that weakness to a whole new level! Plus with all those health benefits that come with the Peppermint Essential Oil, these are practically health food! 😉
- ½ cup butter (1 stick)
- 8 ounces semi-sweet or dark chocolate, chopped (I used 8 ounces from Trader Joes Pound Plus Dark Chocolate Bar)
- 1 Tablespoon Instant Coffee Granules* (I used decaf instant coffee granules)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-4 drops Peppermint Essential Oil
- ¾ cup All-purpose flour OR Better Batter Gluten Free Flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup chocolate chips OR chocolate chunks (optional)
- ½ cup Andes baking chips (optional)**
- In a small saucepan over low to medium heat, melt butter and chocolate, stirring frequently.
- Once mixture is completely melted, transfer to a large mixing bowl and immediately stir in the instant coffee, if using. Set aside to cool for about 5-10 minutes as you prepare the other ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9x9-inch OR 11x7-inch baking pan with aluminum foil, and spray lightly with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and salt.
- In the bowl of melted chocolate, add sugar and whisk well to combine. Add eggs, and whisk well until fully combined. Whisk in vanilla extract and Peppermint Essential Oil.
- Add the flour mixture to the chocolate mixture, and slowly stir until just combined; do not overmix. Fold in chocolate chips/chunks, if using.
- Transfer brownie batter to prepared baking pan, and spread evenly. Top with Andes chips, if using.
- Bake for 37-47 minutes (every oven bakes a little differently, so keep an eye on the brownies after the 37-minute mark!). When done, a toothpick inserted into the center of the brownies will come out with a few moist crumbs.
- Allow to cool uncovered, at room temperature.
- Slice into 16-20 bars, and enjoy!
**Both the traditional Andes mint candies chips (green and brown), and the peppermint flavor (red and white) taste delicious in this recipe! Use your favorite variety!