Healthy and easy-to-make no-bake bars, filled with nutritious ingredients; perfect for meals & snacks on the go!
School is starting again.
Yesterday was the first day back for some schools in my area, and most others start sometime in the next couple weeks…mind blown at how fast this summer has flown past…seriously, I took one blink and there it’s gone!
Exit lazy summer mornings…and enter again the times that fly-out-the-door, grab & go breakfasts are musts!
Instead of kick-starting the day with a glorified candy bar (aka the typical granola bar), which’ll just set up our blood sugar for a crash bigger than the giant glass window on that house by the golf course (whoops), grab one of these No-Bake Chocolate Chip Zucchini Breakfast Bars! They’re packed with good-for-you protein, fiber, healthy fats, and veggies! Plus a little chocolate for extra yumminess!
The texture is awesome; you’ve got chewiness from the oats and shredded zucchini, crunchiness from the crispy rice cereal and chocolate chips, and softness from the almond butter!
Not only are they a great breakfast, but they’re also awesome for lunch, or for an energy + nutrient-rich refuel snack after a workout!
You can use up more of that delicious summer zucchini (which I’m especially loving right now!!), and even better, these don’t require any baking! They’re pretty soft and gooey, so they really must be stored in the refrigerator or in the freezer (<-yumm!!), so if you’re taking these on the road and not planning to eat them right away, I highly recommend tossing them into a cooler with an ice pack next to your other cold foods. I cut them in 8 bars for my husband and me, but they really are pretty hearty, so for kids you could cut them in 10 or 12 bars instead.
Embrace the craziness…it’s the only way to survive! 😉
- 1 and ½ cup Rolled Oats, GF if needed
- 1 cup Crisp Rice Cereal (such as Rice Krispies), use GF if needed
- ¾ cup Shredded Zucchini (about 1 small), drained and dried**
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 cup Almond Butter
- ½ cup Honey
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ½ cup Mini Chocolate Chips, divided
- Prepare an 8x8 or 9x9-inch baking pan by lining with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Place Oats in a small food processor (or blender), and pulse for only about 10 seconds, until roughly broken down**(see note below).
- In a large bowl, stir to combine pulsed Oats, Crisp Rice Cereal, shredded Zucchini, Salt and Cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine Almond Butter, Honey, and Vanilla. Microwave for about 30 seconds, or until ingredients can be easily stirred together.
- Pour almond butter mixture over the dry ingredients, and stir well until all ingredients are evenly coated. Stir in 90% of the mini chips.
- Transfer mixture to the prepared baking pan, and using an oiled spatula, press mixture down firmly. Top with remaining chocolate chips.
- Place pan into the freezer for at least one hour before cutting into bars. Store bars in the refrigerator for up to 10 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Makes 8-10 bars.
**Prep can be made easier by pulsing oats in the food processor first, transferring them to the mixing bowl, and then using that same food processor to shred the zucchini right afterwards. The oats are dry and will come out clean, so you won't need to worry about wiping/washing the processor parts out between steps.
More super-fast healthy recipes: