Have you been going as grill-crazy as I have this summer? I love grilling at home…that smoky punch of yum that infuses all grilled foods is just comforting to me—plain and simple! Plus, whenever we grill at night, I love that Nate and I get to cook together! I prep, he mans the grill. Nate is a total grill master! I can handle the stuff in the kitchen, but honestly have no idea what’s goin on once I walk out that back door! But I secretly almost don’t want to learn how to use the grill…I mean, once I learn, than I have to do it right? I just like it better when we get to work together to make dinner!
Today’s recipe is a staple for us; we probably grill zucchini at least once a week during the summer…and honestly, it’s barely even a recipe. It’s just a simple, healthy way to make a delicious veggie, even MORE delicious! I’m all about simplicity when it comes to vegetables. I want the true beauty of a vegetable’s natural flavor to really come through loud and clear, so I don’t like to drown it in butter or oils before I cook it. A light spritz of olive oil cooking spray is all these zucchinis need to accentuate their flavor and keep them from sticking to the grill. I typically just use Trader Joe’s Olive Oil Cooking Spray, but have also seen these great cooking oil sprayers, and have been wanting to try making my own cooking spray! Anyone out there have a recommendation for a great olive oil sprayer??
Feel free to use your favorite seasoning on your zucchini wedges. I sprinkled mine generously with one of my favorite seasoning blends – Spice Hunter’s Grill Shakers in the Roasted Garlic Sea Salt flavor. I bought mine at Sprouts, but I’ve also found it on Amazon too!
Here’s what I do to make these nutritious + delicious zucchini wedges:
Grill Master Nate:
The possibilities with this idea are limitless! Try this same idea with any Italian Squash, eggplant, maybe asparagus? Dip it in a little ranch dressing, and you’ve got a perfect side dish the whole family with love! (ps-I made this for 2, since it’s just Nate and I at home right now, but go ahead and double or triple the recipe to make it work for your family! I typically use about 1 zucchini per person.) Let me know what vegetables you tried and what you think! I’m all about vegetables on the grill….so simple, so delicious!
- 2 Medium Zucchinis
- Olive Oil Cooking Spray
- Spice Hunter’s Grill Shaker – Roasted Garlic (or your favorite grill seasoning)
- Preheat grill to Medium Heat.
- Wash and dry zucchini.
- Using a fork, pierce each zucchini a few times (as you would before microwaving a potato)
- Wrap the zucchini in a paper towel and microwave for about 2 minutes.
- Slice the ends off each zucchini, and then slice the zucchini lengthwise into four wedges.
- Spritz the zucchini lightly with olive oil, and then sprinkle with seasoning.
- Place zucchini wedges on grill, and cook for about 10-12 minutes (or until desired color is reached), rotating occasionally.
- Enjoy with favorite dipping sauce.
- Yields 2 servings.