Sweet and Salty addicts-Beware!!
Chocolate, caramel, pretzels, and peanut M&M’s…all layered together in one crunchy bark! Perfect for your Game Day parties….or anytime!
It’s almost Super Bowl time!!
Did anyone else out there try to guess which teams would be going to the Super Bowl?? I put my money on it being the Packers and the Patriots, but sadly, you all know how that turned out. (This is me hanging my head.) But hey, at least I got one team right! It’s better than nothing!
Living in Phoenix, there’s major excitement growing around here in anticipation of the big game coming to Glendale in a couple weeks! It sure seems like there’s a lot of big sporting events here in the Phoenix area right now! We’ve got the Pro Bowl, then the Super Bowl and the Phoenix Open all within the next 2 weeks, and that calls for an extra-delicious treat to snack on during the games, right?
That’s where this Game Day Pretzel Bark comes in. It’s got all of your game-watching snack essentials all packed into one addicting bite! I’m pretty sure that if this is the only thing I ever make for my husband for the rest of his life, he’d die a happy man! And guess what? you don’t even need to heat the oven! All you need are 4 of my very favorite ingredients: chocolate, caramel, pretzels, and peanut M&Ms. For gluten free eaters, just pick a gluten free pretzel variety, and you can have this too! My favorite gf pretzels to use are these pretzels by Glutino.
It does take about an hour and a half, to 2 hours, from start to finish to make this bark, since it takes quite a bit of resting time for the chocolate and caramel to harden, but you can shave some of that time down by placing the bark in the refrigerator to firm up more quickly, if you wish.
And honestly, you don’t even need a big game on tv for an excuse to make this. Just rename it “Yummy Crunchy Pretzel Bark”, and go for it, anytime!!
- 1 pound (16 ounces) Dark or Milk Chocolate broken or cut into pieces (I love to use Trader Joe's Pound Plus Dark Chocolate bar for this--just yum!)
- 2 cups Pretzel Twists (Choose a gluten free variety if needed)
- 1 ½ cup Peanut M&Ms
- 5 ounces (142 grams) Caramel Bits or unwrapped Caramel pieces (measure with a food scale)
- Prepare by lining a large baking sheet with wax paper or parchment paper. Measure out pretzels and Peanut M&M’s and set them aside so that they are ready to use.
- Place chocolate pieces into a large microwave safe bowl. Microwave on 50% power for 3-4 minutes, pausing the microwave to stir chocolate every 30 seconds. (The pausing and stirring will ensure that chocolate is melted evenly and does not get overcooked or scorched.)
- Once the chocolate is completely smooth and melted, pour the hot chocolate onto the prepared baking sheet and spread evenly with a knife.
- Working quickly while the chocolate is still hot, stick the pretzels and peanut M&Ms into the top of the chocolate.
- Allow the bark to completely harden at room temperature, about 1 hour (or about 35-40 minutes in the refrigerator).
- Once the bark has hardened, place the caramel bits or pieces in a heat-safe microwave bowl (For ease in drizzling, I like to use a glass Pyrex measuring cup with a pour spout for this part). Microwave on 50% power for about 2-3 minutes, stopping the microwave to stir every 30 seconds. Stay close and watch the caramel, especially towards the end of the cooking time, to ensure that it does not boil over!
- Stir hot melted caramel well, and drizzle over the bark.
- Allow to completely harden at room temperature, about 30 minutes, or about 15-20 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Break or cut (with a large, flat-edge, heavy-duty knife) bark into pieces.
- Store tightly covered at room temperature, or in the refrigerator.
- Makes 30-36 pieces.
Want more Game Day winners?
*This post may contain affiliate links
*I link my posts to These Link Parties