Super-soft, brownie-like, extra chocolatey cookies, all without any flour, nuts, or dairy!
The world of baking has grown and expanded its borders SO much over the recent years, don’t you think? I feel like I never used to see flour made from anything except wheat, non-dairy milk was tough to find, and cookie recipes were only made up of the standard flour, sugar, butter, and eggs. Nowadays, we still see all those things, but the food world has creatively and progressively also branched further out and started including fabulous new norms, like coconut flour, cashew milk, and quinoa pasta. It’s not quite so tough anymore to find recipes to make rice from cauliflower, French fries from butternut squash, noodles from carrots, or baked goods that swap out wheat flour for other options, like nut butters or ground up oats. Some ingredients sound a little scarier than others, and not everyone is up to trying all the creative newer stuff, but as one who’s always kinda gone against the flow, I LOVE it. Why stick to the standard when there’s still so much opportunity to explore?
All that creativity over the past years has made recipes like today’s possible!
I’ve jumped on the use-almond butter-instead-of-flour wagon, and fallen in love with recipes like this and this one. But today, I wanted to take another step outside the traditional-ingredient box and make the chocolatey-est double chocolate cookies without an ounce of flour, nuts, dairy, or soy, and that actually taste like a dream come true. These Flourless Double Chocolate Sunflower Seed Butter Cookies taste like melt-in-your-mouth, salty/sweet brownies, and make you want more and more!!
They’re made with 8 simple (non-scary) ingredients, and come together all in one bowl, without a mixer or any dough chilling. Fast, easy, and incredibly chocolatey and delish!!
Warning: After one fudgy bite of these, you may never want to buy another bag of flour again!
- 1 large Egg
- ½ cup Dark Brown Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- ¼ cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Sunflower Seed Butter
- ¾ cup Chocolate Chips (Dairy-free, if needed)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare 2 large baking sheets by lining with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk Egg. Add Brown Sugar and Vanilla Extract and whisk well until combined. Add Cocoa Powder, Baking Powder, and Salt, and whisk to combine. Next, add Sunflower Seed Butter and with a strong spoon, stir very well until completely combined. Dough will be thick, stiff, and almost crumbly in texture. Stir in chocolate chips, and do your best to evenly distribute them through the dough.
- Using your hands, roll dough into golfball-sized balls. The dough is pretty crumbly, but the warmth from your hands will help the dough stick together.
- The cookies do not spread much during baking, so if you’d like, carefully press down on the dough balls to slightly flatten.
- Bake cookies for 8-10 minutes, until edges of cookies are set. Cookies may look slightly underbaked, and this is what you want! Allow cookies to cool on the pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store cookies in an tightly sealed container at room temperature for up to 1 week or in a ziplock freezer bag, in the freezer, for up to 3 months.
- Makes 10-12 cookies.
If you like today’s recipe, you’ve gotta try these:
*This post contains affiliate links
*I link my posts to these Link Parties