Snap, Crackle, and Pop! Bright and tasty Rice Krispy Treats topped with Pop Rocks that literally explode in your mouth!
I’m so excited today, to be collaborating with 5 other awesome bloggers, to bring you some super-tasty recipes, perfect for your summer picnics, BBQs, potlucks, and celebrations! Check out these tasty dishes!! Underneath the photo, you’ll find the links to get all the recipes pictured here:
I’m getting hungry!
The dish I’m taking care of today, is the most important meal of the day: dessert.
These Firecracker Krispy Treats are my contribution to this collaboration, and I’ve gotta tell you…they are just plain FUN! In honor of Memorial Day and The 4th of July coming up, I wanted to create a super fun dessert that literally would explode like those giant fireworks you’ll be watching at night. So what else was there to do, but to combine the “Snap, Crackle, Pop!” of Rice Krispies, with that “Explosion!” you taste from a handful of Pop Rocks?
I don’t think I’ve ever had a dessert, that’s as fun and exciting to eat, as these Firecracker Krispy Treats! Kids will love the poppin explosions going off in their mouth, and adults will too! (Just ask my husband…he’s finished off just about the entire batch by himself!!)
I made these treats patriotic, with the red white & blue sprinkles, and the red Pop Rocks, but these would be super fun with other colors too, for other events! (Purple Pop Rocks, with pink and purple sprinkles?? So cute!!).
These treats are so simple to make, and you’ll only need 5 ingredients! Feel free to use Gluten Free crispy rice cereal in this recipe, if you’d like; they work and taste exactly the same as regular Rice Krispies do.
Keep the krispy treats super soft by slowly melting the marshmallows on the lowest heat setting on the stove; then remove the marshmallows from the heat just slightly before they’re totally melted to gently fold in the cereal and sprinkles. Next, use a greased spatula to smooth the treat mixture into your pan, and resist the urge to pack them down! Packing down the mixture will lead to hard treats, which will make us a little bit sad. Then comes the best part: the Pop Rocks!! Sprinkle them all over the top of the treats, and then just let them cool completely before cutting and devouring!! The treats do take on the flavor of the pop rocks, so be sure and pick a flavor you enjoy!
And one more little note: after a few days, the pop rocks do begin to lose the potency of their explosions, so it’s best to eat them on day 1 or 2. (Which, I don’t think will really be a problem! )
Thanks so much to the other ladies for contributing their delicious dishes, and here’s to a poppin summer!!
- 6 Tablespoons Butter (or Coconut Oil)
- 16 ounces Marshmallows
- 8 cups Rice Krispies or Gluten Free Crispy Rice Cereal
- ¾ cup Sprinkles (plus more for topping, if desired)
- ⅓ cup Pop Rocks Candy (about 7 packets)
- Place Butter and Marshmallows in a large pot, on the stovetop. On LOW heat, slowly melt together the two ingredients, stirring occasionally. It will take several minutes to melt the marshmallows.
- Meanwhile, line a 9x13 inch pan with foil, and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- As soon as the marshmallows are almost completely melted, remove from heat, and gently stir in the Crispy Rice Cereal. Stir in sprinkles.
- Gently transfer the cereal mixture to the prepared pan, and using a spatula coated with nonstick spray, gently even out the top. Do not pack down.
- Sprinkle Pop Rocks and additional sprinkles across the top of the treats.
- Allow the treats to cool fully before cutting into squares (about 2-3 hours).
- Makes about 18 treats.
- Treats are best (Pop Rocks are most active) when eaten within 1-2 days.
Other picnic-worthy dishes: