I’m sitting here at the auto shop waiting as my car is getting an oil change, and I’m just thinking about getting out of here, and getting home to these wraps!
This delicious (and healthy!) dish is a staple at our house, because it’s so yummy and just so darn easy to make! I almost feel embarrassed sharing the recipe, because it tastes much more complex than it is to make!
I like customizable recipes, so that I can mix and match flavors, using produce that are in season, or as a way to eat up leftover ingredients in the refrigerator. This recipe is perfect for that! Feel free venture off the ingredient list and use veggies that your family likes to eat, and make this dish spicier (add a diced jalapeno pepper or stir in some spicy salsa), or tamer depending on your preferences. I love bell peppers, so I always make sure there are plenty of those mixed in! I also really like to shred and use up leftover rotisserie chicken in these wraps, but you could easily use ground beef, or (yum!) leave out the meat and chop and sauté a couple portabella mushroom caps to toss in for a vegetarian meal. <-I’m doing that next time!
Once you’ve got everything together in the pan, stuff the mixture in a tortilla, top it with some salsa and guacamole, maybe a sprinkle of cheese, and devour! Or, my personal favorite way, leave out the tortilla, and just eat it with a fork, with some blue corn tortilla chips on the side! Mmm…
- 1 package (6 to 7-ounce) Spanish or Mexican Rice (such as Rice-A-Roni or Lundberg)
- Any required preparation ingredients called for on rice package instructions
- 1 cup to 1 and ½ cups chopped or shredded cooked chicken
- 1 cup canned black beans (drained)
- 1 cup corn
- Optional: ½ cup diced onions, ½ cup diced green or red peppers
- 8-10 flour tortillas
- Optional: shredded cheese, cilantro, chopped tomatoes, guacamole, salsa
- In a large, deep skillet, cook rice as directed on package.
- Add shredded chicken, beans, and corn (and diced onions or peppers, if desired) into the rice, and stir to combine. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- To serve, scoop rice mixture into flour tortillas, and roll. Enjoy with optional ingredients, if desired.
- Serves 5-6
- *This is also a delicious entrée on its own, without the tortillas!
More amazing dinner dishes: