Crispy, crunchy, chocolaty homemade granola, bursting with flavorful fall spices!
Peppermint and gingerbread is only ok at Christmastime, lemon desserts really should only come out between March and May, Red Velvet = Valentines Day, and of course, pumpkin must only be enjoyed somewhere between October 1st and November 30th.
And that’s just the start!
But, at least for me, the confusing part is when we start to talk spices. I mean, during the fall, we all grab a container of Pumpkin Pie Spice at the store to boost yummy flavor in our baked goods. It’s basically my very favorite spice blend of all time! But, even though there’s zero pumpkin-ness inside Pumpkin Pie Spice, it really is only acceptable to use the spice as an ingredient during those fall months! So we use, what, like maybe a tablespoon or two of our Pumpkin Pie Spice up during that “acceptable” time, and then the rest technically goes to waste since spices only stay good for about a year!
It’s sad, right?
Well, not so fast…
This Chocolate Pumpkin Pie Spice Granola is the perfect solution to all that crazy flavor confusion!
Just as Pumpkin Pie Spice contains no pumpkin, this granola doesn’t have any pumpkin in it either! But, it’s the perfect way to enjoy that delicious spice blend in something other than pumpkin pie and pumpkin bread (so it doesn’t go to waste!)
And, since it doesn’t taste anything like pumpkin (so you’re technically not flavor-cheating!), I vote that it really is ok to make and enjoy this granola all year round!
This granola seriously couldn’t be any easier to make! I prepped this granola faster than it took my oven to preheat (which took less than 5 minutes!), spread it on the pan, and baked it to crunchy perfection! These clusters are so chocolaty, so flavorful (thanks to that Pumpkin Pie Spice! 😉 ), and holy cow—so addicting! I haven’t been able to keep my hands out of that container since this last batch happened a couple days ago!! My very favorite granola recipe to date!
- 2 ½ cup Old-Fashioned Oats (Gluten Free, if needed)
- 1 ½ cup Mixed Nuts/Seeds (a store-bought premixed variety, or an assortment of your favorite nuts and seeds)
- ¼ cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ cup Maple Syrup
- 2 Tablespoons Melted Coconut Oil (measure in liquid state)
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees F. Prepare two large baking sheets by lining with silicone baking mats. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir to combine Oats, Nuts/Seeds, Cocoa Powder, Pumpkin Pie Spice, and Salt. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir to combine Maple Syrup and Melted Coconut Oil; pour over dry ingredients, and stir well until everything is coated with the maple mixture.
- Divide the mixture between the two prepared baking sheets, and spread into an even layer.
- Bake for 40-43 minutes, until toasted, gently stirring halfway through baking time.
- After removing from oven, DO NOT touch granola. Allow granola to cool, untouched, on the pan for at least 15-20 minutes, before breaking into clusters and transferring to a container.
- Store granola in a tightly sealed container at room temperature for up to 3 weeks.
- Makes about 5-6 cups.
If you love granola as much as I do, you’ve gotta try these next:
*This post contains affiliate links