Super-soft, melt-in-your-mouth sugar cookies, filled with sprinkles, and topped off with a dark chocolate heart!
Some days just need extra sprinkles, don’t you think?
Sprinkles somehow just make everything just a little bit happier!
As does dark chocolate.
I know we all probably think of Valentine’s Day when we see these decadent dark chocolate hearts, but they’re in stores all year-round, and really, everyday needs a little extra chocolate love, right?
I worked as camp staff for three years, but I specifically remember my junior year of high school, I was a lifeguard and a camp counselor. And every morning, the rest of the staff ladies and I would start off our day with a Dove Dark Chocolate Heart at breakfast. It was awesome, because, like a fortune cookie, there’s always a special message inside the wrapper, and it was just incredibly dorky, but incredibly fun to see what our message of the day was! Plus, a little bit of chocolate at breakfast is never a bad thing, right? 😉
I combined these little bites of heaven with the softest, most sprinkle-filled sugar cookies you’ll ever taste! They’re the perfect dessert to enjoy all year round!
Also, like all my other cookies, you may make these Chocolate Heart Funfetti Cookies the traditional way with regular All-Purpose Flour, or with Better Batter Gluten Free Flour (you can find this on Amazon or Vitacost)! They’ll turn out the same either way!
Just like a peanut butter blossom cookie, or these Turtle Kiss Cookies, you’ll make these by preparing and baking the cookie dough first. Then after baking you’ll lightly press the chocolates into the top of each warm cookie. Then, (so, so important!!) you’ll stick the pan of warm cookies into the freezer for just 5 minutes. This will prevent the chocolate candy from melting into pools of dark chocolate all over your pretty cookies. So because of this, you’ll definitely want to test out your pans first, and check if they will actually fit inside your freezer! And, if your freezer is as packed as mine, you’ll maybe have to do some rearranging or pull some nonessentials out of the freezer (like those giant blue-ice packs for your cooler!) to make room for the cookies to go inside for just a few minutes. Believe me, I’ve forgotten to do these steps before, and experienced the panic that happens when you find out after the fact, that your cookies are sitting, hot from the oven, on baking sheets that are too wide to fit into my freezer door. And it’s not pretty. So to avoid any moments of panic, planning ahead is optimal!
Spread the love, share some cookies, share some chocolates with friends, and have a wonderful weekend!!
- 1 and ⅓ cup All-Purpose Flour OR Better Batter Gluten Free Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ½ cup Butter, softened to room temperature
- ¾ cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- ⅓ cup Sprinkles (jimmies, not nonpareils)
- 16-18 Dove Dark Chocolate Hearts, unwrapped
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk to combine Flour, Baking Powder and Salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, using an electric handheld mixer, beat softened Butter until very smooth and creamy. Add Granulated Sugar, and continue to beat until creamy, about 1 minute. Add Egg and Vanilla, and beat well until very light and fluffy, about 1-2 minutes more. Scrape down sides of bowl at any time, as needed, during any of these steps.
- Pour dry ingredients into the bowl of wet ingredients, and stir by hand with a large spoon or rubber spatula until combined. Stir in sprinkles.
- Cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 3 hours and up to 3 days.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven 350 degrees F. Line 2-3 baking sheets with parchment paper (make sure baking sheets are a size that will fit into your freezer.).
- Using your hands, roll about 1-1 ½ Tablespoons dough into a ball, and place on baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes, or until edges are set. Cookies may look slightly underbaked, and this is what you want! Allow cookies to cool on the pan for 5 minutes.
- Carefully and lightly press a Dove Dark Chocolate Heart piece into the center of each cookie; immediately transfer baking sheet to the freezer for 5 minutes. This will prevent the chocolate piece from melting.
- Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store cookies in a tightly sealed container at room temperature for up to one week. Cookies freeze well in a ziplock freezer bag for up to 3 months.
- Makes 16-18 cookies.
Other cookies to love:
*This post contains affiliate links