Thick, chocolatey fudge brownies, topped with a rich chocolate cream cheese frosting and sprinkles! The perfect brownies to satisfy those chocolate cravings!
Yay!! Today is the 1-year Blogiversary for Sunny Side Ups!!
I cannot believe it has already been one year since my first post! At the same time though, it feels like I’ve been blogging way longer than a year…haha, probably since my husband and I started working on Sunny Side Ups at least 6 months before the first post went live!
This past year has been a huge learning experience for me, and there’s so much more I would love to learn about the world of blogging in this upcoming year! I have quite a few goals and visions of things I’d like to improve on the site throughout this next year, but ha-since I’m sorta tech-challenged, changes will happen gradually…one step at a time!
I started Sunny Side Ups, with the intention for it to be both a food and fitness blog, and a way to keep friends updated on Nate’s and my international adoption…but through the past months, the food part has emerged as the main focus, and the fitness area has sort of dropped into the background. Although, my love for fitness is not going anywhere (It’s my real job, after all!), so don’t be surprised if I keep throwing fitness posts in here and there!
Most of all, I want to thank all of you! All my readers! You all are awesome! Thank you for reading, sharing, and making Sunny Side Ups grow to where it is today!
A special occasion definitely calls for a special dessert! This is probably my very very favorite dessert, and I’m so excited to share it with you! Can you say Chocolate to the MAX?? Just the way brownies should be!
It starts out with the fudgiest fudge brownies you could ever dream of. These brownies, are thick, dense, almost like you’re sinking your teeth into a giant piece of straight soft chocolate; they’re then slathered with this irresistible chocolatey soft cream cheese frosting and topped off with plenty of sprinkles (of course!!)! A chocolate-lovers dream come true!! Plus the brownies are made in all one bowl (er, plus the pan to melt the chocolate in), they’re made in just minutes, and are so, so much better than any box mix you’ll grab at the store!
These fudge brownies will taste identically amazing whether you make them with regular all-purpose flour, or the gluten free way with Better Batter Gluten Free Flour (It’s not in stores; you can find it online at Vitacost or Amazon)! Any other gluten free flour blend, and you’ll end up with a slightly different result, so proceed at your own risk! It’s my pet peeve when gluten free foods taste “gluten free”; I want my foods to look, taste, smell, feel like I’m eating the same exact thing as “regular people” eat, and Better Batter Flour gives you that result. It’s amazing!
Also, for the frosting, I used Whipped Cream Cheese instead of a block of cream cheese; so when you’re making this, just be sure to look for the tub, not the rectangle package at the store. I absolutely love the lighter, fluffier result it gives my frosting in this recipe.
Come celebrate the weekend and Sunny Side Ups’ first blogiversary with me by baking a batch of these heavenly brownies…here’s to another great year!!
- ½ cup Butter
- 8 ounces Chocolate, chopped (I used 8 ounces from a Trader Joe’s Pound Plus Dark Chocolate Bar)
- ½ cup Granulate Sugar
- ¼ cup Light Brown Sugar
- 3 Large Eggs
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- ¾ cup All-Purpose Flour OR Better Batter Gluten Free Flour
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 8 ounces Whipped Cream Cheese (in the tub, not the block)
- 3 Tablespoons Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ⅛ teaspoon Salt
- Sprinkles (Optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a 9x9 inch baking dish by lining with foil, leaving some overhang on the edges. Spray with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan on the stovetop, over low heat, melt Butter and chopped Chocolate, stirring frequently.
- Once melted, remove immediately from heat and transfer to a large mixing bowl to cool slightly.
- Whisk Granulated Sugar and Brown Sugar into the chocolate mixture until all sugar lumps have dissolved.
- Add Eggs and Vanilla Extract; whisk very well until combined.
- Stir in Flour and Salt, using a large spoon or rubber spatula, until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Spread batter evenly into prepared baking dish. Bake for 37-41 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached (not wet batter).
- Set the pan on a wire rack, and allow brownies to cool completely before frosting, about 1 hour.
- In a large bowl, beat Cream Cheese, using an electric mixer until very smooth, about 1 minute.
- Add Cocoa Powder, Powdered Sugar, Vanilla Extract, and Salt; Beat well for about 2-3 minutes, starting at low speed and gradually increasing the speed to high.
- Frost cooled brownies; top with sprinkles, if desired.
- Makes about 16.
Some of my favorite desserts from the past year:
*This post contains affiliate links
*I link my posts to These Link Parties