Healthy and delicious banana mocha smoothie, packed with lots of good-for-you fruit, veggies, and protein!
I can’t get enough of summer (aka: Smoothie Season!)
Smoothies are definitely one of my favorite foods (er, drinks?) to have for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, anything! I love that I can customize them to how I am feeling, or to what I’m craving. They’re so fast and easy to make, portable, and as long as you stick to good-for-you ingredients, really healthy!
Today’s recipe is one of my very favorite go-to breakfast smoothies. It’s super healthy, it packs a bunch of your daily fruit and vegetable servings in, and you get a giant serving (which I love!); my giant Starbucks tumbler is the perfect size for this one, see?
I’ve been making this one for years, and I never get sick of it! It’s got everything you could want flavor-wise: chocolate, coffee, bananas, plus you’ve got a couple giant handfuls of spinach in there (that you really can’t even taste!), AND it’s packed with protein! I like to keep this one gluten free and vegan by using Sunwarrior Vegan Protein Powder (which you can find at many grocery stores, Amazon or Vitacost), but feel free to use whatever brand of protein powder you like the best! I bet, it would also be fabulous poured into popsicle molds and frozen for a quick & healthy summertime cool-down snack!
- 1 cup Crushed Ice
- 1 Frozen & Sliced Banana
- 1 scoop Sunwarrior Vegan Protein Powder, vanilla or chocolate (or 1 serving of your favorite protein powder)
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (dark cocoa, regular cocoa, or a combination)
- 1 cup milk*
- 1 teaspoon Instant coffee Granules
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1-3 packets Stevia, or liquid Stevia to taste*
- Pinch of Xanthan Gum*
- 2 handfuls spinach or mixed greens
- Combine all ingredients in a high-powered blender, and blend until smooth. It may be necessary (even 2-3 times, depending on the type of blender you use) to stop the blender, scrape down the sides with a rubber spatula, add additional liquid or xanthan gum if needed*, and then restart to complete blending.
- Makes 1 large serving
Other favorite smoothie recipes: