Cereal, almond butter, and honey (and a little chocolate, if you want!)! That’s all you need to make these easy sweet & crunchy treats!
Ok I have a dilemma that I need your help in solving!
Do you spell them Krispy Treats? Or Krispie Treats?
For some reason, I’ve always spelled them Krispy Treats. But if I search online, it looks like everyone else in the world spells them Krispie Treats. I feel so behind!
I have no idea why I give the treats with a –Y ending…it’s just how I’ve always done it! Is it time for a change?
Switching to the –IE suffix isn’t the only thing I’m changing in these classic treats today! I’m also throwing out…gasp!….the marshmallows!
Yup! All you’re gonna need is cereal, almond butter, and honey! Use classic Rice Krispies or gluten free Crispy Rice cereal…they’ll turn out the exact same delicious way with either type! Now don’t get me wrong, I love that gooey, stretchy, melted marshmallow goodness in a classic krispie treat (or maybe an Andes Mint Krispy Treat?)…but for today, we’re swapping out those marshmallows out for a little better-for-you almond butter and honey! Those ingredients will still keep your treats sweet, sticky, and crunchy, but will also add another depth of deliciousness!
Good news: these can be made in a flash! And, since there’s no marshmallow filling to get all hardened, you can stick them into the refrigerator (!!!) to make the setting of these treats go A LOT faster!
And if you’re like me, a treat really isn’t a real treat without a little chocolate, right? So, just as an option, I drizzled a little melted chocolate all over the top of these yummy Almond Butter and Honey Krispie Treats! But only if you really want it. (which you totally do, right? 😉 )
- 4 cups Rice Krispies Cereal, OR a Gluten Free Crispy Rice cereal variety
- ⅓ cup Salted Almond Butter
- ⅓ cup Honey
- For the Chocolate Drizzle (optional):
- ⅔ cup Chocolate Chips
- 1 teaspoon Shortening
- Line a square (8x8-inch) baking pan with foil, and spray with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Measure out Crispy Rice Cereal into a large bowl. Set aside.
- Place Almond Butter and Honey into a microwave safe bowl, and microwave until melted and easy to stir, about 30 seconds. Stir well to combine.
- Pour wet ingredients into the bowl of cereal, and carefully stir until everything is coated with the wet mixture. Transfer mixture to the prepared baking pan.
- Use a piece of wax paper in your hand (to prevent sticking) to firmly press the mixture down into an even layer.
- * Optional: For The Chocolate Drizzle:
- Place chocolate chips and shortening in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for about 20 seconds, and stir well. Repeat until melted.
- Transfer to a squeeze bottle (or use a spoon) to drizzle chocolate over treats.
- Allow treats to fully set at room temperature or in the refrigerator until firm. Cut into squares.
- Treats may be stored in a tightly sealed container at room temperature or in the refrigerator for up to one week.
- Makes 16 treats.
*This post contains affiliate links
*I link my posts to these Link Parties