It’s been a little while since I’ve posted any new updates on Nate’s and my Uganda adoption, and to spare your eyes from glazing over in boredom, the majority of what we’ve been doing over the past couple months is pages and pages of paperwork… more time consuming and thought-provoking than writing your philosophy research project, more pages to sign than if you’re buying a new house, and deeper into our family background than a group therapy session!
We’ve begun our Home Study process with a wonderful local agency, and our biggest news since our adoption announcement is that we have decided to walk away from the primary adoption agency that we kicked things off with, and restart the process all over again with Agape Adoption Agency, the local agency completing our Home Study. During the very first meeting with our social worker, we learned that Agape has fairly recently become fully qualified and able to complete adoptions to a few countries outside of the United States, one of which is Uganda! (When we were doing initial research on finding the best possible agency for us, this was not public information online, so there was no way that we could have found out that an in-state agency was able to do our international adoption, before having this in-person meeting–it’s all new for Arizona!)
It definitely caught us by surprise to learn about this, and we took several days to pray and chew over the information in our heads…it may not sound like a huge decision, but switching adoption agencies means on one side, cutting out a third party, reducing a lot of time and money spent on FedExing material back and forth from Ohio, and being able to work in person with those actually making this adoption possible (all good things!). However, on the other hand, it means we were all the way back at the starting gate, with a lot of paperwork to recomplete, stuff we’d already done once, and it means walking away from almost $4,000. But most importantly, the switch of agencies would ultimately change who will become the newest part of the Bradley family. So for us, it was a really ginormous decision to make this change…We fully believe that God wanted us to make this switch, despite our losses of the time and money, and has a specific plan as to how this adoption pans out. Just another opportunity for us to trust Him more!
We are trying to be as proactive as we possibly can on getting our paperwork and required education completed, because we know that as we are here comfortably savoring Cookie Dough Brownie Bars and playing the new Copeland album on repeat (<- seriously, so so good ), our baby is living in an orphanage in Uganda, waiting for a mom and dad to love on them. We’ll have missed out on maybe 3 years of wonderful milestones in their lives, and we definitely don’t want to miss out on any more! And, more importantly, they’ve suffered so many losses already in their short little lives, we don’t want them to have to possibly suffer through any more, just because of silly procrastination on our part; so we’re doing all we can do to keep the process moving forward, and we are so, so extremely grateful to all of you who have prayed and helped us so far! We trust that the orphanage in Uganda is doing everything they can to provide the best possible care for our little boy/girl, but it’s still hard to think about them being so far away. Was anyone there to cheer for their first steps or tuck them in at night? Do they have enough food to eat or the right medicine when they’re sick? Did they have candles to blow out or anyone there celebrating for their birthdays? Every day all we can do is pray for them, knowing that God loves them so much more than we ever could, and trusting that He will wrap them in His arms extra tight until we can hold them ourselves.